Friday, July 22, 2011

Lidge Is Back, Hold Your Breath

Today the Phils sent Danys Baez to Triple AAA and activated closer Brad Lidge.

In all likelihood, Lidge will probably be eased into action as a set up man or mid reliever as he further attempts to get back to the big league level. Lidge has been sidelined all season with a rotator cuff injury.

I love Lidge and will never forget his magical 2008 season. But he is literally a toss up and I don't even think he knows how effective he will be. Hopefully Lidge can come back and just be a solid reliever and give this pen some consistency. I would not thrust him back into his role as closer. Charlie needs to take it easy at first just to get a gauge of where Lidge is at with his fastball especially.

With Lidge's activation comes the departure of Baez who will be greatly missed, but not really.

Some more good news came the Phils way as Roy Oswalt threw a simulated game today according to Steve Bucci of phillysportsdaily.com.

“I don’t feel any pain,” Oswalt said. “I can throw off my front side. Before I was throwing of my back side, just battling myself to get through the ball.” Oswalt has been sidelined since June 24th with back problems. This is definitely a good sign to see that Oswalt is feeling comfortable once again.

The Phils are finally starting to return to full health just in time for that early August push.

No comments:

Post a Comment