Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Is Worley The Real Deal?

He's 7-1 with a 2.02 ERA and last night he threw his first career complete game against the San Francisco Giants but people still want him traded. Vance Worley, better known as the Vanimal, has been a pleasant surprise so far this year for the Phils and is a likely candidate for NL rookie of the year. But although he's been dominant this year, people (including myself) want to trade him for a bat. But should the Phils really trade a young pitcher on a starting rotation that isn't getting any younger?

It's still too early to tell whether or not Vance Worley is the real deal. He's only made 13 career starts and there's no telling how hitters will fare against him once they adjust. But you have to love what he's been able to do thus far and trading a number 3 or possibly even a number 2 guy for a bat could hurt the Phillies the remainder of this year and years to come.

“I’m not going out there thinking too much, I’m just throwing the pitches I have and it’s working out for me,” Worley said.

Attacking, plus the fact he has his own personal catcher could be the reason for his early success.“He stays with me and we’re having fun. What I like about him is he works fast. I can put a sign down and he’ll throw right away,” Brian Schneider said.

Vance has great stuff and a tremendous upside. If he continues to pitch at this high of a level then the Phils are going to have a tough time parting ways with the young righty.

I'm beginning to think the Phils should hold on to Worley but my mind keeps going back to J.A. Happ. Happ went 12-4 with a 2.93 ERA for the Phils in 2009 and yet the Phils didn't hesitate in trading the lefty to the Astros in mid 2010. This year Happ is 4-12 with a 6.12 ERA. Could Vance be another Happ? Or is he the next Cole Hamels? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment