Friday, December 2, 2011

Nightmare In Seattle

When I got my work schedule last week, I was pretty bummed when I saw that I got scheduled to work during the Eagles Seahawks Thursday night game.  Even coming off of a pathetic loss to the Patriots, you still have to watch the Birds no matter what.  But after receiving a text from my uncle telling me that Vince Young had thrown an interception on the Eagles first offensive play of the game, I quickly knew that I wouldn't be missing much.

From the various highlights, post game interviews, and expert analysis I've gathered since last night, I think everyone is truly questioning this team's effort.  I sincerely hope that the Eagles were giving it all they had last night and not putting forth a weak effort.

While you clearly can't blame last night's 31-14 debacle on any one player, a lot of the blame is going to be directed toward Desean Jackson.  Jackson looked non-responsive during a sideline encounter with Vince Young, and he walked out on a post game interview after being faced with some difficult questions.

"I'm not gonna sit here and listen to those questions," said Jackson. "My teammates know what it is ... God ... Ya'll need to get out of my face before I go off. Ya'll crazy."

Jackson's immaturity is beginning to show more and more.  He is quickly turning into a typical wide receiver diva and he is also becoming a locker room cancer.  I've said it before and I will continue to say that it's time for the Eagles to part ways with Jackson.  And I truly believe that Jackson sealed his fate with the Eagles after his childish antics last night.

As for Reid, I guess you can blame Reid for the 4 interceptions thrown by Vince Young, and the sheer pitiful performance put forth by the entire team.  While I agree that it's a coach's job to motivate his players, at the same time those guys have to go out there and execute.

Eagles running back LeSean McCoy firmly stood up for his coach.

“As a team we know [Reid will be back]. We have a lot of trust in him, a lot of faith in him, and the franchise does too. They know they have a good coach. If you ask around the league, he’s by far one of the top coaches in this league." McCoy went on to say, "If you look at this game, I don’t see where it’s Andy Reid’s fault.  Turnovers, Andy can’t control that. Lack of doing your assignment — he doesn’t have control over that — that’s us as players. He puts us in the position to make plays and do the right things…He takes blame for a lot of things that he shouldn’t.”

I have a feeling that a lot of the people calling for Andy's head are going to quiet down after last night.  There is only so much a coach can do and at the end of the day the players are the ones that have to execute on the field.

At 4-8, the Eagles are all but mathematically out of it.  The Birds still have 4 more games left and I can only hope that they show more effort than they have in the past two weeks.  Hopefully Vick's return to the lineup will help spark this team, because right now, the Eagles are an absolute laughing stock and I desperately need them to show me something as we head into the final month of the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment