Saturday, December 24, 2011

Jimmy Is Here To Stay

I'm Here To Stay!!!!!!!
About a week ago, Jimmy Rollins signed a 3 year deal with a vesting option for a fourth year to remain a Philadelphia Phillie through the 2015 season.  I've let the deal sink in for a little while now, and I have reached the conclusion that ultimately I'm happy with the deal.

Initially, I kind of wanted the Phillies to move on from Rollins.  While he is undoubtedly one of the best defensive short stops in the league, I thought the Phillies could use a change in the lineup.  I thought that a change at the top of the lineup would benefit the Phillies offense in the 2012 season.

But ultimately I feel that the deal is a huge plus.  Rollins gives you stability defensively, and he is still a catalyst in the lineup.  He has the ability to spark guys around him and get things going even when everyone else is slumping.  Plus he has power which is something the Phillies will need if Ryan Howard isn't able to go by opening day.

But for next year, Rollins needs to realize that as one of the leaders of this team he needs to have better discipline at the plate.  He can't go up there and have short 2 pitch at bats.  He has to set the tone by going up there and having good long at bats.  That means taking pitches and playing small ball.  If the 2011 season taught us anything it taught us that the Phillies can no longer rely on the long ball.  This team has to rely on small ball to generate runs in 2012 and it starts with the lead off man Jimmy Rollins.

As for what the lineup should like next year, I think you still have to keep Jimmy as your lead off man.  He knows what it takes to be a lead off hitter and I just don't like Shaner leading off.  But I think changes need to come with the rest of the lineup.  Last year Charlie kept Chase Utley as the three hole hitter.  But Utley no longer has the power to hit in the three spot and I think you have to bump him up into the 2 hole.  From there you bring Pence into the three spot and have either John Mayberry or Shane Victorino batting 5th behind Howard.

Overall I'm gad that Jimmy will be a Phillie for years to come.  He was a vital part of the 2008 World Series run and he will be a vital part of this team for years to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment