Sunday, August 21, 2011

Eagles High Hopes For Rookies

With the addition of big name free agents, a lot of people are overlooking the fact that the Eagles are relying heavily on the performances of rookies in the upcoming season.



Casey Matthews, Danny Watkins, Alex Henery, Chas Henry, and Jaiquawn Jarret are all being relied on to start this year and have a significant impact. Here is a list of the Eagles’ rookies in order as to who is my biggest and least concern.



1. Casey Matthews Simply put, Casey Matthews is my biggest concern. The Eagles love Matthews and they seem to have faith that the fourth round pick can step in and be their starting middle linebacker. But he is undersized and I’m heard reports that he looked lost in the Steelers game. I think that Matthews has a ton of potential but he may need a month of two of experience before we can really see what he can do.



2. Jaiquawn Jarret I feel a lot better about Jaiquawn Jarret’s situation at safety because the Eagles have a veteran in Kurt Coleman they can go to if Jarret is not fully ready to assume the starting spot. The Eagles could also go with Jarrad Page who is a veteran safety that they picked up in free agency. Jarret could be the next Brian Dawkins but I also love Coleman and think he can fill in until Jarret is fully ready to assume the starting role.



3. Danny Watkins Mentally and physically I think Danny Watkins is ready to be a starter on this team. It’s his lack of football experience that has me worried. Watkins first started playing football in college and that has me a bit skeptical.



4. Alex Henery, Chas Henry I’m fully aware that special teams players, especially kickers and punters can have big impacts on games. But I don’t think they are to play a huge role this year for the Eagles and I’m not too worried about the Eagles new kicker and punter.



Overall I think the rookies will fill in nicely on a team with so many talented veterans. All of the rookies on this team just need to listen to the veterans and coaches and take everything one play at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment