Friday, November 4, 2011

Jason Avant, C'mon Man!


This isn't the first time a #81 wearing an Eagles uniform said something dumb.

Earlier in the week Jason Avant made this stupid comment:

“We don’t want people jumping on our bandwagon now,” Avant said. “We want people to go out and still talk bad about us.”

At first I tried to ignore it because at the end of the day, Avant is still the third receiver on this team.  If Vick had said this I would have been furious, but the fact that our third receiver was mouthing off didn't bother me too much at first.

But when given the chance to apologize for his bandwagon comments Avant didn't back down:

"Let’s get this clear – I will not apologize for what I said....I don't really care (if people boo), you know why? Because I play my hardest. I play my hardest for Jesus Christ and for this team. You going to boo me for playing hard? You going to boo me for being the guy that’s going to chase down the play when nobody else is running? You going to boo me for being the guy that’s doing special teams or going over the middle and taking a big shot? Boo me for doing what’s right? ... Listen, I understand. This is what I do respect about Philadelphia fans. They're very, very knowledgeable, and I love playing before our fans. I want to win a championship for this city so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so, so bad. So I respect them and I love them as fans. What I’m saying is that I go out, give everything I have and whatever was said, which I don't even remember half of it, it’s still my opinion, no matter if it was the worst thing in the world.”

What I don't get about Avant is he has been here for close to 6 seasons now and at this point he knows how Philadelphia fans operate.  We boo you when you deserve to be booed, and we cheer for you when you deserve to be cheered for, it's that simple.  Why then, in your 6th year in the city, do you suddenly have a problem with that mentality?

From his comments I get the sense that Avant is almost trying to pick a fight with the fans and I don't know why.  Avant should be happy and feel blessed that he gets to play in a city like Philadelphia where fans are so passionate about their teams.  Would you rather play in a city where nobody watches or shows up for the games?

At the end of the day I don't think Avant is a bad guy or anything like that.  In his comments he does aknowledge the fact that Philadelphia fans are great.  I feel that at this point his "bandwagon" comments were basically just taken the wrong way, and instead of simply apologizing he decided to dig himself into a deeper hole.  Basically, Avant needs to learn to not make dumb comments especially about the fans because we are the greatest sports city in the world.  But don't be too hard on the guy because he is still a very talented third receiver.

No comments:

Post a Comment