Thursday, June 23, 2011

Sixers Select Lavoy Allen

With their second round pick the Philadelphia 76ers selected Lavoy Allen, a forward from Temple. Lavoy also played for Pennsbury High School and as a Pennsbury grad myself I'm trying to contain my excitement as I write this article.

Lavoy brings to the Sixers a strong defensives presence. He can go up and block shots which is something the Sixers definitely lack. Allen also is a fantastic rebounder and whenever a shot goes up you will see Lavoy finding an opponent, stamping him in the gut and boxing out. Allen is a force on both the offensive and defensive boards and has the ability even at the professional level to consistently put up double-doubles. Allen compliments his defense and rebounding abilities with a soft touch from the outside. Allen can knock down the mid range jumper and is a good finisher under and around the hoop. Lavoy is extremely versatile and the Sixers can use him in a multitude of ways.

In college, Fran Dunphy designed his whole offense around Lavoy. Not to say that he was Temple's leading scorer, but when you really watched one of his college games, Lavoy was constantly setting picks and cutting to the basket and in turn opening up Temple's whole offense.

When I recieved news that the Sixers drafted Lavoy I was ecstatic. I grew up watching him in high school and I can't wait to see what he will do at the professional level. Doug Collins is going to fall in love with this guy. From what I know of Lavoy as a person, I know that he is a humble guy and will come into camp ready to learn and work hard for Collins and the Sixers.

No comments:

Post a Comment