Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Gagne Traded To Tampa


On Monday, after weeks of rumors that the Flyers were interested in trading him, Simon Gagne was dealt to the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for Matt Walker and a 4th round draft pick. When I first heard news of the Gagne trade I was a little surprised. Although I had been hearing all the rumors that the Flyers wanted to deal Gagne, it still came as a surprise because Gagne has been a Flyer since 1999. He is the longest tenured player in Flyers history and I thought that the front office was going to find a way to keep Gagne on this team. Gagne will be missed but I really like the guy the Flyers got for him in defenseman Matt Walker. I have been saying this all off season long that the focus in all of their signings has to be defense. Walker definitely adds depth to this Flyers defense and will help keep pucks out of the net. Ultimately, the trading of Gagne means that the Flyers have some cap space and can make more moves. So far this off season Im happy with what the Flyers have done. Before the season starts though, I think the Flyers have to try and sign or trade for another top notch defenseman, and really solidify the defense as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment