Friday, February 10, 2012

JVR Coping With Concussion

Young Flyers star James Van Riemsdyk has been out since January 12th with a concussion.  JVR was officially ruled "out indefinitely" on January 14th, and on Wednesday he finally opened up to reporters on how he is dealing with the concussion.

"I've tried not to let that word, frustration, seep into my vocabulary," van Riemsdyk said. "[I] just try to stay positive. Obviously, when you are in a better mind-set, it's better for healing and getting better. That's what I'm trying to focus on. Just little positive things every day, and take it from there.  If you talk to me at different times of the day, maybe I will feel a little better sometimes than other [times], when I feel really sick."

The one thing that really scares me about that interview is at the end where he says that at times he feels really sick.  That tells me that JVR is probably suffering from nausea and severe head aches, indicating it could possibly be a severe concussion.

And today bad news once again came out regarding JVR's status.  Sam Carchidi, Flyers beat writer for the Inquirer tweeted earlier,

"JVR , battling post-concussion syndrome, says he still feels like he is in a fog. He isn't likely to return for a while."

It looks like JVR has quite a long road ahead of him.  The one thing that will definitely help JVR is his optimistic attitude.  He needs to continue to stay positive and try to seek out the advice and support of other players who have dealt with what he is currently going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment