Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Post Lockout Thoughts

Today the NHLPA ratified the new CBA and the lockout is now officially over.  At the press conference today, comissioner Gary Bettman apologized to the fans for the lockout:

"I'm sorry, I know an apology or explanation isn't enough, but I owe you an apology. I read the letters, I followed the tweets. I read the blogs. We have a lot of work to do. ... That effort begins today."

While there is a lot of speculation that the NHL will offer discounted tickets or discounted merchandise as an act of good will after the lockout, I think the NHL should take a different approach that wouldn't cost them a dime.  Each NHL team, at some point during the upcoming season, should have a carnival day.  Basically fans come to the stadium and get the chance to meet the players and coaches, take pictures, and get autographs free of charge.  I think this would be a great opportunity for the players, coaches, and owners to truly say they are sorry to the fans.

Personally, while I certainly wasn't happy with the lockout and the fact that owners and players were bickering over millions of dollars in the midst of an economic recession, I will still watch and go to games this year.

While the NHL certainly has my support, overall I think they are going to struggle to regain some of their fans.  The NHL will always have the support of the die hard hockey fans, but they will definitely struggle to regain the support of casual fans.

For the Flyers, I think a shortened fast paced season strongly favors them.  The Flyers are young, fast, and have a ton of energy.  Back to back games, and four games in a week really won't slow down this high powered offense.

The big question for the Flyers will be the defense.  With the new buy out clause included in the CBA, the Flyers could potentially look to buy out goalie Ilya Bryzgalov's contract if he doesn't perform this season.  Bryz is going to have to show that he deserves to be here long term.

Overall there is a lot of excitement as the Flyers get set to open the season, Saturday January 19th against Sidney Crosby and the Pittsburgh Penguins.

No comments:

Post a Comment